Mulberry Tunic :: An Upcycled Men’s Shirt

(do avesso :: inside out)

Estou contentíssima com esta camisa de Verão que fiz para o Rodrigo. Ficou fresca, confortável e, simultaneamente, arranjadinha q.b. Ele também gostou!
1. O molde
Mulberry Tunic da Olga do blog Kid Approved. Este molde tem algumas variações: mangas curtas ou compridas, bolsos e um capuz. É um molde digital (quando o compramos, recebemos um ficheiro PDF por email) e vai dos 18 meses aos 12 anos.

2. A minha versão
Fiz a versão que gastava menos tecido (já vos vou dizer porquê): mangas curtas, sem bolsos nem capuz. Fiz as presilhas das mangas mais curtas (diminuí-lhes 2,5 cm no comprimento) e fiquei rendida às dobras das mangas, que são feitas de uma maneira muito engenhosa. O remate do colarinho não foi cortado em viés — mas sim num ângulo esquisito entre 45º e 90º, porque não havia tecido suficiente —, daí ter ficado um bocadinho ondulado (mas isto é um preciosismo… quase nem se nota, sobretudo porque o Rodrigo nunca está quieto!). Cosi os lados com costuras inglesas, o meu acabamento preferido.

3. O tamanho
Fiz o tamanho 3 anos para o Rodrigo, que vai fazer 3 anos daqui a um mês. Fica-lhe impecável, mesmo à medida.

4. O tecido
Reutilizei uma camisa fil-à-fil do meu pai, daí o tecido ter sido tão à conta! Era uma camisa clássica para usar com gravata, mas o colarinho já estava muito esgarçado e acho que já tinha sido virado uma vez. Como sabem, farto-me de aproveitar camisas de homem para tudo e mais alguma coisa, e o tecido desta era tão bom que tinha mesmo de ser utilizado para algo especial. Estas são as minhas reciclagens preferidas: aquelas em que se consegue tirar o máximo partido da peça original, mas o resultado não fica com ar de reaproveitamento. Os botões madrepérola vieram de outra camisa.

5. Notas finais
Devo confessar que hesitei um bocado antes de comprar este molde, porque aquela costura a meio ali à frente não me convencia… Percebo a razão porque ela existe: é uma maneira fácil de fazer uma carcela até meio, para dar à camisa um ar de túnica — e eu, como costureira autodidata e com pouco traquejo nesta arte da confecção, agradeço a intenção. Mas, como o molde ficou em saldos antes do Natal, resolvi arriscar. Ainda bem que o fiz! Gosto imenso do resultado, acho que a costura nem se nota e fartei-me de aprender com as instruções. Agora quero fazer uma versão de Outono com mangas curtas e capuz.
I’m really happy with this summer shirt I made for Rodrigo. It turned out great: cool, comfortable and not too dressy but not too casual either. He approves!

1. The pattern
Mulberry Tunic by Olga from the blog Kid Approved. This pattern offers a few variations: short or long sleeves, pockets and a hood. It’s a digital pattern (which means that you get a PDF file on your email inbox) and it’s sized from 18 months to 12 years.

2. My version
I made the version that used up less fabric (more on that later): short sleeves, no pockets and no hood. I made the sleeve tabs 1” shorter than the original ones and I was really pleased with the fold on the sleeves, it’s really clever. I didn’t manage to cut the tape for the collar on the bias because I didn’t have enough fabric — I was forced to cut it in a funny angle somewhere between 45º and 90º, and that’s why it doesn’t lay completely flat (but since Rodrigo never sits still, you’ll never notice it). I used French seams for the sides of the shirt.

3. The size
I made a size 3 for Rodrigo, who’s turning 3 next month. The fit is perfect.

4. The fabric
I upcycled a fil-a-fil shirt that used to belong to my father. It was one of those classic shirts to wear with a tie but the collar was getting old and I think it had already been turned once. As you know, I love breathing new life into old clothes and this shirt’s fabric was really high quality, so I had to use it to make something special. This is my favourite kind of recycling: where you’re able to make the most of the original piece but the result doesn’t look like “making do”. The shell buttons came from another shirt.

5. Final notes
I confess that I hesitated a bit before buying this pattern because of that front horizontal seam. I guess I know why it’s there: it makes the whole job of sewing the half placket a lot easier — and I, as a self-taught sewer and a beginner in the art of dressmaking, undoubtedly appreciate the intention. But when the pattern went on sale before Christmas, I decided to give it a go. Well, I’m glad I did! I love how the tunic turned out, the aforementioned seam doesn’t bother me at all and I learned a lot from Olga’s instructions. Now I want to make an autumn version with long sleeves and a hood.

(photos: © Constança Cabral)

14 thoughts on “Mulberry Tunic :: An Upcycled Men’s Shirt

  1. flores umbelina says:

    Cada vez mais dedicada e completa,como eu a aprecio em tudo que faz Constança é muito difícil encontrar uma moça da sua idade com tantas qualidades e de poupança ..Comprei o seu livro, adoreiuito bom.Os filhotes estão um encanto,pena tenho eu de nao falar e escrever bem.ingles para puder comprar moldes para fazer.para as minhas netinhas um grande beijo.

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s